Sunday, January 05, 2020

Six Questions interview #1: Manahil Bandukwala


Manahil Bandukwala is an Ottawa-based writer, editor, and visual artist. She is the author of two chapbooks, Paper Doll (2019) and Pipe Rose (2018). She is on the editorial team of Canthius, a feminist literary magazine. She was longlisted for the 2019 CBC Poetry Prize, was the 2019 winner of Room magazine’s Emerging Writer Award. See her work on manahils.com.

Q: How long have you been in Ottawa, and what first brought you here?

I’ve been in Ottawa since 2014, and came here for university at Carleton – and I’m finishing up my degree this year!

Q: How did you first get involved in writing, and subsequently, the writing community here?

The two are kind of tied together. In my second year at Carleton, I got involved with In/Words Magazine, and that really bridged the space between university and community. I started going to readings, listening to poets and eventually read at open mics. To read at open mics, I had to write stuff I liked enough. A book that has really influenced my writing is Bottles and Bones by Ayesha Chatterjee, and I first encountered Ayesha’s work at Tree, and then at Sawdust.

Q: How did being in such a community of writers shift your thinking about writing, if at all?

Five years ago my conception of writing was of sitting holed up in a room producing ideas out of nothing. Now I see writing as a process, a form of growth, symbiotic with everything around.

Q: What do you see happening here that you don’t see anywhere else? What does Ottawa provide, or allow?

I have a beautiful memory of meeting for brunch at the Manx before Versefest a couple of years ago with Sarah MacDonnell and Claire Farley. This was before I got involved with Canthius, and I didn’t know either of them very well, but they invited me along anyways.

I can’t say much about what I see in other places because my only experience in a writing community is Ottawa, but this is what I see Ottawa provide.

Q: Have any of your projects responded directly to your engagements here? How have the city and its community, if at all, changed the way you approached your work?

In 2018, I worked with Conyer Clayton to publish her chapbook, Mitosis, through In/Words Magazine & Press. It was launched alongside a sister album, If the river stood still by Conyer and Nathanael Larochette. The project was funded by the City of Ottawa, and was very much a product of the community. I first heard Conyer read an excerpt from Mitosis at In/Words, then as a poetry-music collaboration at Sawdust. I pitched the idea of getting funding to publish a chapbook-album collab, and there we were!

The project was my first dive into collaborating with another artist. It was a super fun process, from picking out cover cardstock to making illustrations to getting together for a bookbinding hangout. The act of writing, editing, and submitting can be a very isolating process, so collaborating with others is a huge part of enjoying being a writer. I don’t know if I would be writing so consistently and passionately if it weren’t for community.

Q: What are you working on now?

My winter break has been my sister Nimra and I working on our literary-visual project, Reth aur Reghistan. We researched folklore in Karachi and the province of Sindh in August 2019, and have now started turning that research into creative media. Our plan is to publish a book of poetry and sculptures inspired by our findings.

We’ve made about 25 sculptures from found materials like cloth, shells, dried flowers, and sticks so far, with plans to make more. It was a lot of fun seeing how the materials we had could visualize characters, scenes, and themes from the story. We’ve shared a few samples of sculptures on our website. Nimra and I both love our sculpture of Banbh and Manh, twin creatures who are half-female, half-hellish – so much so that it’s the first image on the website.


No comments: