Sunday, March 01, 2020

Six questions interview #9 : Ronnie R. Brown


Ronnie R. Brown is an Ottawa writer whose work has appeared in over one hundred magazines and anthologies.  The winner of the Acorn-Plantos People's Poetry Award (for States of Matter, Black Moss Press) and the Golden Grassroots Chapbook competition (for her long narrative poem, Un-Deferred), Brown's work has, most recently  appeared in the anthologies: Tamaracks (Lummox Press, USA), and Another Dysfunctional Cancer Poem Anthology (Mansfield Press) and will soon be featured in The Nashwaak Review.

Q: How long have you been in Ottawa, and what first brought you here?

I first came to Ottawa in the fall of 1981. My husband and I immigrated to Canada (from the US) in 1969.  We spent our first 12 years in Montreal where my husband (eventually) found employment as a journalist with The Canadian Press. In '81 he was assigned to Ottawa and we've been here ever since.

Q: How did you first get involved in writing, and subsequently, the writing community here?

I began to write in my early teens. Teachers not only encouraged me, but saw to it that my work was published in anthologies that were put out by the school board. I was fortunate enough to live in Massachusetts, a State which valued and promoted the arts (way back when, anyway.)

When we moved to Montreal I attended Concordia University (in Montreal) receiving both a BA and an MA (in Creative Writing) during my stay there.  Being a student/teacher at Concordia allowed me to hear and meet with  writers like Henry Beissel, Irving Layton and Gary Geddes who read my work and mentored me.  Gary served as my advisor for my Creative Writing thesis (a collection of poems entitled On Falling Bodies.) Working with Gary was a wonderful experience for which I will forever be grateful.

As soon as we settled in Ottawa, I began looking for "poetry contacts." An ad in a community newspaper led me to the TREE Reading Series. I went, participated in one of their open sets and began meeting and working within the Ottawa community.

Q: How did being in such a community of writers shift your thinking about writing, if at all?

Since I was not involved in the University scene in Ottawa, I found that connections had to be made by attending and participating in the many local reading series that were taking place at the time. Many of the hosts (like the late Marty Flomen) were welcoming and, in a time before the internet, etc., they let poets know what was happening locally and actively rallied to get folks out.

Q: What do you see happening here that you don’t see anywhere else? What does Ottawa provide, or allow?

I would say that a number of my thoughts on writing were already formed during my time in Montreal, but I did become exposed to other styles of writing (for example, performance poetry, particularly by way of the group First Draft.) Regardless of how fixed one may be in their ways,
exposure to new and different styles and voices does have an impact.

 When I arrived in Ottawa I was surprised to see how well poetry could thrive outside an academic setting. I found this to be refreshing. At the time I arrived there were many reading series going on and several small publications. Unfortunately there seem to be fewer opportunities of this kind (rob mclennan's many projects being a notable and welcome exception.) Even the number of writing classes seems to have dwindled, although, I guess, the internet has filled that void. Since I have lived here so long I can't honestly comment on how Ottawa is different from other places, but I assume that the changes I've observed are also happening elsewhere.

Q: Have any of your projects responded directly to your engagements here? How have the city and its community, if at all, changed the way you approached your work?

I know that the staging of my work, On Falling Bodies at the Atelier of the NAC, was largely due to the fact that I was here. A brain-child of George Young (who made quite an impact on the city during his time here ) and Paul Couillard (who brilliantly took the work from page to stage) On Falling Bodies was a case of being in the right place and being seen (or rather heard) by the right people. Seeing my work on stage most certainly changed the way I look at what I am presenting and provided me with a high point in my life.

Q: What are you working on now?

At present I am working on some pieces about my adventure with breast cancer (most are funny) as well as trying to keep at the whole writing thing (not as easy as it was when I was younger.) I regret the fact that not only are there fewer readings to attend, but also that I am not always able to attend what few are there (I do better when there's no stairs and the nights are warm.) 


No comments: