Becky Halton is a Registered Early Childhood Educator, Children’s Book Author, and KidLit Blogger from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. She is the second of three children born to David and Jackie Halton. Becky is married to her husband, Mike, and is mother of a sweet little girl named Lucy. Becky currently stays home with her daughter while providing home childcare on a part-time basis.
During her free time, Becky enjoys spending time with her family, reading, writing, walking her dog, planning children’s activities, and volunteering at her church.
Becky’s first book, T-Rockasaurus: the Rockin’ T-Rex, is scheduled for publication in 2022 by Ventorros Press.
Q: How long have you been in Ottawa,
and what first brought you here?
I first moved to Ottawa when I was 7 years-old as my parents relocated from
Ancaster for work. I went to elementary school at Featherston Drive Public
School in Alta Vista, Ashbury College in Rockcliffe for high school, and
Carleton University for my Bachelor of Arts. I moved to Orleans while
registered in an Intensive Early Childhood Education program through St.
Lawrence College.
Q: How did you first get involved in writing, and subsequently, the writing
community here?
I had an interest in writing from a young age. My dad always encouraged me
to write and helped with proofreading when I was in high school.
At Carleton, I took several writing workshops as elective courses where I
dabbled in poetry and crime-thriller fiction pieces. When I graduated from
Carleton, I took a break from writing while I went to St. Lawrence College and
studied Early Childhood Education.
This past year, I found my niche in writing children's books and, more
recently, children's book reviews.
Q: How did being in such a community of writers shift your thinking about
writing, if at all?
Growing up, I always saw writing as a very independent hobby. My courses at
Carleton taught me the value of belonging to a writing community where writers
support other writers from idea sharing to editing to promoting one another's
projects. I would love to connect with more Ottawa writers, especially authors
of children's books!
Q: What do you see happening here that you don’t see anywhere else? What
does Ottawa provide, or allow?
I love that Algonquin College has a Certificate in Creative Writing that you
can complete entirely online! I hope to complete this program in the future for
personal interest.
As for in-person events, I enjoyed experiencing the Ottawa small press book
fair a few years ago. It was great to meet so many writers, publishers, and
creative locals. I look forward to attending more of these events to connect
with others!
Q: Have any of your projects responded directly to your engagements here?
How have the city and its community, if at all, changed the way you approached
your work?
When I attended Carleton University, I registered in an Intermediate
Fiction Writing Workshop. I typically wrote crime-thrillers, but one day I
found myself in a different sort of mood. On that particular day, I began
writing a story about a garden gnome. I brought the piece to our workshop and
one of the comments I received was that it seemed like it was written for a
younger audience of approximately 10-12 year olds. I left this piece for
several years while I went back to school and I found it again this past year
with fresh eyes. I realized that maybe I am meant to write for a younger
audience! Now, I am currently halfway done drafting it as my first
middle-reader fiction piece. It has the working title The Magical Realm of Garden Underworld.
Q: What are you working on now?
My first children's picture book, T-Rockasaurus:
The Rockin' T-Rex, is being published later this year by Ventorros Press.
As mentioned, I am working on a short
children’s novel, The Magical Realm of
Garden Underworld, which is a fantasy about the secret lives of garden gnomes.
It is an adventure story with a central theme of family love.
I have also recently started a KidLit blog where I share information about my
upcoming publications, as well as reviews to help promote other children's
books, author interviews, and writing contests. Please feel free to check it
out at https://beckyhalton.wordpress.com
and get in touch!
Thank you so much for reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment