Tuesday, April 05, 2016

National Poetry Month 2016: Marcus McCann,



Sex at Thirty One


Here’s hunger’s sweet spot, I got extra dough,
have you met my accumulated competencies?,

is what I thought the year would be.
Under its penumbra, I vowed to string

enough fairy lights end-to-end to make waver
the dominant view. That and get off.

It was overly lofty. Bulbs burst not from weakness
but because I dragged them over patio tiles.

As for my body, I was a bad tenant
in an okay apartment. Onto the dartboard of the year

a neighbour corked a missive, through an intermediary,
to please revolve the venetians.

Well. By July, days were also peaking
in their thirties; I scored among the uniformly

over forty at the beach’s ramble, that itch a gift
left by a lover whose story I won't fillet here,

its basic bones being sorrow
and failed largesse. I flagged my heart out,

learned cruising is public service. As winds chilled,
my bed pegs split. I lived between frames

and during the interregnum,
my meetup with college life pulled back curtains

on cravings for order I didn’t realize had cured in me.

Unsettled is how I felt. Like how one bad haircut collapses
the capillaries of our self esteem. The clinic

endorsed my theory of love as infection cluster.
On that topic: to a man who predated this birthday
I said let’s be bandmates on life’s

slutty bus tour. By December I’d red penciled my plan
for outsmarting my own asshole habits. Paper

wore until it ripped. Winter was a smothering ruffle
of short days and longjohns. Loafing around

my actual days, my style shrunk from cool
to “cool dad,” I guess that’s not a sex thing.

I got really into Stevie Nicks. The year

wrapped around itself like a marriage in a headlock
and before I nodded off I caught a glimpse

of the world as I thought it was, a public
of confidantes, conspirators, lieutenants

undressing from their idiot clothes,
us sleazebags, saddos and weirdos, knots of lovers, chains

and chains of clippered buds, impossible to preserve,
seriatim, stamen, John Stamos, satyr, sweat, salt.




Marcus McCann is the author of two books of poetry and ten chapbooks. His work has been awarded the John Newlove Award and the EJ Pratt Medal for poetry. Find recent poems in Best Canadian Poetry 2015, THIS Magazine, Matrix, Riddlefence, The Steel Chisel and Plenitude. @mmccnn

No comments: