Clair de Lune
Who
said the novel is a vaudeville show,
the
six o’clock news, the mumblings
of
wild men saddled by demons?
I
want to give you everything:
lavish
banquets, valuable books,
suits
made out of horse hair and twine.
I
want to give you the coronal sublime.
If
I speak for the dead, I must leave
this
animal of my body,
denatured
unto dust.
The
moon is in her stirrups
and
the doctor’s prognosis is time.
Lay
yourself on the tarmack;
ignore
the buzzards of air.
Alien
geometries may speak
in
vile tongues but you,
a
perfect storm, will prevail.
Author of a chapbook, Vox Populi (Finishing Line Press), and a collection of short stories, Anatomical Gift (forthcoming, Noctuary Press), Virginia Konchan’s poems have appeared in The New Yorker, Best New Poets, The Believer, Boston Review, The New Republic, and Verse. Co-founder of Matter, a journal of poetry and political commentary, she lives in Montreal.

No comments:
Post a Comment