Indulgence
The dough
must be punched down
to rise.
Conveniently,
this suits
your mood, satisfies.
To be
strong, forceful –
if only against single-celled organisms –
feels good.
if only against single-celled organisms –
feels good.
Eventually,
your knuckles hurt.
This, too, satisfies.
This, too, satisfies.
Later, when
the dough has risen again
and been baked to fragrant bread,
and been baked to fragrant bread,
you will
devour your anger, swallow
the crusty,
delicious warmth,
gobs of
butter melting golden into its holes
the way rage
seeps from your spaces,
until you
are filled, pillow-soft, with release.
Crumbs catch
on the breast of your sweater,
a light
dusting of flour contours your mouth,
guilt-edged.
Sink back
into the couch;
Don’t bother
brushing it off.
Kristina
Drake writes and edits in the
wilderness near Hawkesbury, Ontario. Her poems have previously appeared as a
Tuesday poem on Dusie; in Carte Blanche, Soliloquies and Yalla!; and as an
above/ground press broadside.

5 comments:
I have made a lot of bread in my lifetime, but only now do I realize the truth behind the kneading! Wonderful Tina.
Fabulous poem. I can feel both the anger and the release.
And it is a lovely photo too!
Bravo and love from your momma.
Yummy...I can taste it.
Post a Comment