Ever since her birth in Bermuda, allison calvern has been growing up--in New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, Québec, British Columbia, Paris, the Black Forest of Germany, and now, in Ottawa, where she continues to make progress. She writes letters, poems, memoir, and unpublishable short stories. Although she has a vague affection for paragraphs, she feels the best writing hinges on beautiful sentences.
Q: How long have you been in Ottawa, and what first brought you here?
I first moved to Ottawa in 1991, following my husband at the time and his job. I worked from home, and took evening classes in creative writing at the University of Ottawa. Under Nadine McInnis and Rita Donovan, I learned how to use breath to measure the beauty of a sentence. I joined a class writing group; I began to attend poetry readings--TREE, Dusty Owl. I helped to run Sasquatch for a while.
In 1999 I moved to Fredericton with my youngest child in tow. From the University of New Brunswick, I took: an undergraduate degree in comparative literature; a masters degree in English; and a physics professor as a dear husband and healer of the heart. When he died in 2015, my bruised heart and I moved back to Ottawa, where four of my five children live.
Q: How did you first get involved in writing, and subsequently, the writing community here?
As a little girl in Edmundston, I read the Telegraph Journal--the comics and Alden Nowlan. And so I knew writers existed, but I thought such an occupation required an anointing, a special designation by the powers that be. But, no; it turns out engagement is what does the trick. Ottawa's poets, short story writers, novelists, memoirists, creators of books, and book sellers--together create an excellent atmosphere for engagement with the written word.
Q: How did being in such a community of writers shift your thinking about writing, if at all?
I remember being so moved by poetry at readings in Ottawa, that I would go home and bury my pen in my sock drawer. I knew I would never write as beautifully as they, and what's the point of giving the world another unwanted poem? But even though I was mired in self-doubt (and still am), I felt the addictive pull. Perfection is over valued; just to read, and to write, is enough.
Q: What do you see happening here that you don’t see anywhere else? What does Ottawa provide, or allow?
Ottawa has more--more writers, more reading series, more universities, more publishers, more festivals, than a small town, say. Within this 'more' is a critical mass of connections, of opportunities either to shine or to hide. Ottawa also has the sales and distribution boost of the twice-yearly Small Press Book Fair. These components are so valuable to a writer.
Still, I value the intimacy of the Fredericton writing scene: drinking beer in Ross Leckie's kitchen; meeting Antonine Maillet at Molly's Coffee House; catching the flare of insight that comes from hearing M. Travis Lane give an impromptu explanation of the long-form poem, while her beloved, blind companion, Davy, winds his furry way around our legs.
Q: Have any of your projects responded directly to your engagements here? How have the city and its community, if at all, changed the way you approached your work?
Mostly I stand back and say, wow, to the love and talent that Ottawa writers apply to the art of writing. Then I do my own work.
Q: What are you working on now?
I am writing memoir, with a focus on Child Haven, Kaliyampoondi, a home for impoverished children and seniors in a rural village in Tamil Nadu, India. In 2017-2018, I spent six months wrapped up in that ancient, breathing culture, and I haven't been the same since.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment