Sunday, February 26, 2023

Six Questions interview #165 : Maria Saba

Winner of the PEN Canada Scholarship, Maria Saba is a writer, storyteller, and arts educator. Writing in both Persian and English, she has published three books of nonfiction, short stories, and personal essays. Her short story manuscript, “My First Friend,” was a semi-finalist for the Iowa Short Fiction Prize. The title story of the same collection was nominated for the Pushcart Prize in 2017 and won Scoundrel Time’s Editors’ Choice Award in 2018. Her novella, “The Secret of Names,” was long listed for the Disquiet Literary Prize in 2020. Maria is the recipient of grants in English literature from Canada Council for the Arts, Ontario Arts Council, Saskatchewan Arts Board, City of Ottawa, and Wallace Stegner Grant for the Arts. She has served on various arts funding and awards juries in literature, theatre, dance, arts organization, and arts education.

Q: How long have you been in Ottawa, and what first brought you here?
At first, I came to Ottawa from Winnipeg for my MSc program. Then I moved to Toronto for my PhD and back to Ottawa after my postdoc. In total, it would be about eighteen years!

Q: How did you first get involved in writing?

I have always been writing one way or another. My first publication, if you can call it that, was a letter I sent to a women’s magazine in Iran after a row with my mother. Being fifteen, and a particularly mindless one, I didn’t stop there but mailed it to my mother’s favorite magazine, which I wasn’t supposed to read (and did, cover to cover, every week.) and forgot about it. My mother might never have known about it if a nosy neighbor hadn’t shown up at our door with my letter in the magazine. I wasn’t very popular at home for a while, to put it mildly.


My teachers in Iran and later in Canada always urged me to write, but I never committed to it until I took a short creative writing workshop at a community center with local writer, Joanne Proulx. She liked my ideas for stories and encouraged me to write. I told her I couldn’t see myself writing 300 pages. “Write a short story then,” she said. And that set me out on the path to write fiction.


Q. How did you get involved with the writing community here?

I was very isolated until a wonderful local writer and theatre artist, Ann Cavlovic, very kindly connected me with two amazing local poets and writers, Frances Boyle and Deborah-Anne Tunney— two of the nicest, most supportive, most generous people I have ever met. This encounter has had a very positive effect on my writing and my sense of being part of community. These are crucial for me as a writer, who spends most of her time in her own head.


Q: What do you see happening here that you don’t see anywhere else? What does Ottawa provide, or allow?

Ottawa has a great literary landscape with so many writers and poets and events and publications. I love events like Tree Reading Series, In Our Tongues, and many others where reading and workshops happen. I believe we need to join forces to bring Ottawa more onto the spotlight. Your blog is a good effort in that direction.


Q: Have any of your projects responded directly to your engagements here? How have the city and its community, if at all, changed the way you approached your work?

I have learned from my exchanges with writers and poets, and the city certainly has an effect on my writing. I love different places in Ottawa, where I can reflect. Walking in so many trails and driving in the country always invigorate and reset me. Writing/literary cafes would be a good idea!


Q: What are you working on now?

Three things. Possibly four. I switch from one to the other. I am revising my first novel, writing my second one, and revising my novella. The fourth project is a secret. For now.


No comments: