Friday, April 26, 2019

National Poetry Month : Chris Johnson,


Words!


A few days ago,
Josh shared a poem by Frank,
which is a very Josh thing to do,
then he deleted the post,
which is also a very Josh thing to do.
So, now I am flipping
through my copy of Frank’s Selected
because I can’t remember the title,
although the form
of the poem
was quite memorable
and I think I’ll recognize the first line.

This is how it always goes.
You set out looking for one thing
then something else
grasps onto your eyes
and takes your attention away.
Have you ever tried to search
the sky for a constellation
during a meteor shower?

Listen!
If stars are lit
there is someone looking upward
wondering what the starlight is for—
something so miniscule
by our vantage,
we might lose track
of the deafening importance
of even the smallest spark.




Chris Johnson is the Managing Editor for Arc Poetry Magazine. He currently lives in Ottawa, which is located on unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishinabe Nation. @ceeeejohnson

No comments: