Sunday, September 10, 2023

Six Questions interview #193 : Lynn Coady

Lynn Coady (@Lynn_Coady) is the author of six acclaimed works of fiction, including the short story collection Hellgoing, which won the Scotiabank Giller Prize in 2013. Her most recent novel is Watching You without Me.

Q: How long were you in Ottawa, and what first brought you here? What took you away?
I was there for 4 academic years for my undergrad degree, after which I spent a few years in New Brunswick for reasons I still don't quite understand.

Q: How did you first get involved in writing, and subsequently, the writing community here?
I didn't really get involved in any kind of community but did take my first tentative steps as a writer, publishing poetry in the Carleton Arts Review (I think it was called) and taking a short fiction course with Gerald Lynch at U of O which I still remember fondly.
 
Q: How did being in such a community of writers shift your thinking about writing, if at all? Have there been subsequent shifts due to where you have lived since?
These were embryonic days for me as a writer! But what I realized at Carleton, after I flunked out of my first year journalism program, was that the kind of writing I wanted to do was not, in fact, journalism.

Q: What did you see happening here that you don’t see anywhere else? What did Ottawa provide, or allow?
It was a pretty formative period actually because it was my first time living somewhere besides Cape Breton island, so mostly I learned that the rest of the world wasn't Cape Breton and that there were a whole lot of other ways to look at and experience the world besides the ones I grew up steeped in. Being at a big uni like Carleton with students from all over was a slap upside the head in a good way.

Q: Have any of your projects responded directly to your engagements here? How had the city and its community, if at all, changed the way you approached your work?
I think my novel Mean Boy, even though it's set in a uni town that's very different from Ottawa, captures the experience I'm describing above--that coming of age feeling that there's a big wide world out there that your life, up until this point, has not really prepared you for.

Q: What are you working on now?
TV projects mostly, although also maybe a book of short stories.

No comments: