Expedition #1
after a first line by Heather Christle
Now I am in your television with my costar
this penguin. We are the nature
in this nature documentary. A man with a voice
like a marketing department narrates our daily
dives under the ice in search of fish. I do not dive under the ice.
I am a human woman in a second-hand parka
and I don’t like being cold and wet at the same time. Imagine
the isolation the man intones. Imagine
the freezing nights. I wanted a change of pace.
I wanted to be on a show where I had a wishlist
of everything I wanted in a home
then a real estate agent with nice makeup
could tell me I’d need to make some sacrifices.
Laura Farina is the author of two books of poetry, This Woman Alphabetical and Some Talk of Being Human, as well as the picture book This is the Path the Wolf Took. Her third poetry collection, Behold!, is forthcoming from Coach House Books. Laura is the recipient of the Archibald Lampman Award, and has been long-listed for both the Relit Award and the CBC Poetry Prize. She’s very temporarily the associate director of the Writer's Studio at SFU.

No comments:
Post a Comment