Tuesday, April 15, 2025

National Poetry Month : Michael Turner,

 

From That Feeling When (a cine-poem for three voices)

 

What’s open before me is said with my eyes as text.

A text has described itself.

I see things because they are there.

You see what you were put here to see.

A text describes itself, by example.

It is written.

It has a name.

A constraint.

Information designed to distract.

Information designed to extract surplus attention,
filled like rocks in a bag to beat you with.

An un-juxtaposition that has yesterday’s dam as today’s cascade.

There is no yesterday.

Only an infernal present.

I see things because I am here, and because they were put there
for me to see.

 

 

 

 

Michael Turner [photo credit: Paul Wong] is a writer based on unceded Coast Salish land. His most recent book is Playlist: A Profligacy of Your Least-Expected Poems (Vancouver: Anvil Press, 2024).

No comments: