Wednesday, April 02, 2025

National Poetry Month : Tolu Oloruntoba,

 

Precariat

 

If you eat
of this tree, you
ll find
that you didn
t want what
you wanted, only a trunk

for a berth in a lake;

you
ll find

that I, for instance,
wake daily

to find myself

building careers
,
knowing not why.

Must be that

star
tegy I am constellated
within: best practices

of mice and men;

must be that

open-plan plain,

that tattoo

of wildebeest scrums;

that carpet for the new androids,

our downthrow wearable,

that signal,

an augmented hand

in the sod.

If you eat
of the precarious tree, you
ll find it

placebo, or nocebo;
you’ll tell me, or not,

that I
m transgenic,
myself,

part-modified from lunches past;

say it was

some Zod,

alien hand

in a noon slump,

splicing a winter flounder

tomato, the jellyfish in corn,

the people in my sugarcane

into me
in a benzoic fog;
say the salamander in the wheat

dust round me is afire;

but let

the menagerie

holding me up

not escape.

If you berth in a lake;
you
ll find

that I,
and my transgressors have found a gulag

of solitude;

I have imbibed

their deeds,

my gavel

a vanquished femur;

my pacemaker: those
shrunken in my eyes
in oubliettes,
working bellows;

dig a moat
, I sensed, the moat will protect,
and the moat does electrify

a sole

self in a lightning storm,

a premonition

fast-roping

down ticker-tape lengths

of rain;

could be:

a God of escaping

captives

picking my locks;

or laying charges of insight:

what was done to me,

I would’
ve done as well.

 

 

 

 

Tolu Oloruntoba has been an itinerant project manager, general practice physician, and editor. His third poetry collection, Unravel, is available now. Find him at tolu.ca.

No comments: